Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Valentine Granola Bars

This post is orginally from my family blog searchingsimplicity.com and was posted last year. I am digging it up to share with my readers of this blog. It's one of my favs.


Yesterday afternoon, as Sweepea was drifting into blissful sleep in my arms, I had thoughts of Valentines and granola bars swimming in my head. Valentines Day is around the corner (it's one of my favorite holidays...and not just because its an excuse to eat chocolate :) and I have lots of Valentines crafts I want to try. Granola bars crept into my mind because I have been craving them. It's been a while since I whipped up a batch.

So I am rocking back and forth, enjoying my moment with Sweepea, listening to the quiet, when a thought popped into my head. What if I made heart shaped granola bars? I have a heart cookie cutter. I wonder if that would work. I placed Sweepea on my bead, covered her with her fleece blanket, closed the door, and headed for the kitchen. I mixed up my homemade granola bar recipe. I had posted the granola bar recipe on here a while back, but here it is again. This one below has a few changes made from the original...

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a cookie sheet.

2 cups rolled oats

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup wheat germ

3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

1 cup unbleached flour

3/4 cup raisins, dried fruit, or mini chocolate chips

1/4 to 1/2 cup nuts (sunflowers, almonds, walnuts etc.)

**I did not use the nuts this time. I thought they might be too bulky and distort the shape. But sunflowers probably wouldn't. Or you could finely chop the nuts. I also used mini chocolate chips because of the same reason.

3/4 tsp. salt

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and had the following ingredients.

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup honey

1 egg, beaten

2 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients together until well blended.

Place a cookie cutter shape (I used a heart) onto the greased cookie sheet. Scoop the granola mixture into the cookie cutter.



Plat it down. Make sure the granola gets into the corners. I filled mine until the granola was even with the top of the cookie cutter.



Gently lift the cookie cutter away from the granola. If you notice your cookie cutter is sticking, lightly grease it.
Keep doing this until all the granola is used. I was able to make six hearts. I place the granola hearts into the oven for 20-25 minutes. Do not over bake or they will be too hard. You know if they are done when the edges are lightly browned.



You could package a heart granola bar in a clear bag and give them to your special someone. Or better yet sew a cute valentine bag. They would enjoy the granola bar and they could keep the bag to use again.
Enjoy!





Pin It

28 comments:

  1. Hi to every body, it's my first pay a quick visit of this website; this web site consists of awesome and truly excellent stuff for readers.

    Also visit my blog - private krankenversicherung beitragsrechner
    My site :: krankenkasse ohne zusatzbeitrag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quality content is the crucial to be a focus for the visitors to visit the web
    page, that's what this website is providing.

    my site welche private krankenversicherung ist die beste

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll right away seize your rss as I can not to find your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please permit me recognise so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

    Feel free to surf to my weblog; privatversicherung für studenten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey this is somewhat of off topic but I was wanting to know if
    blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding expertise so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    my weblog - clickbank help

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's up everyone, it's my first pay a visit at this
    website, and paragraph is genuinely fruitful for me, keep up posting such articles.


    Feel free to surf to my blog post; what is seo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there are using Wordpress for your site platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and create my own.
    Do you require any html coding knowledge to make your own blog?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    my homepage kredite trotz schufaeintrag

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is very open with a very clear clarification of
    the challenges. It was definitely informative.
    Your site is extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing!



    Also visit my homepage; investment opportunity

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quality articles or reviews is the secret to be
    a focus for the people to pay a quick visit the web site, that's what this website is providing.

    Stop by my weblog; bad credit home loan owner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good site you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any community
    forums that cover the same topics talked about in this article?
    I'd really love to be a part of community where I can get suggestions from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks!

    Also visit my page: private krankenversicherungen vergleiche

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good site you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any community forums
    that cover the same topics talked about in this article?
    I'd really love to be a part of community where I can get suggestions from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks!

    my webpage; private krankenversicherungen vergleiche
    My web page > private krankenversicherung Für kinder

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on wechsel private krankenversicherung
    in gesetzliche. Regards

    Here is my web-site ... gesetzliche krankenversicherung leistungen
    Also see my page - private krankenversicherung liste

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good blog you have here.. It's difficult to find high quality writing like yours nowadays. I seriously appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

    My web-site - debt consolidation for bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  13. My brother suggested I might like this web site. He was once entirely right.
    This submit truly made my day. You can not consider just how a lot time I had spent for this info!
    Thanks!

    Feel free to visit my blog; top 10 small business ideas

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. Also, I've shared your
    web site in my social networks!

    Feel free to surf to my site; beiträge private krankenkasse

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know this site gives quality depending articles
    or reviews and other material, is there any other web
    page which provides such stuff in quality?

    Check out my web blog - private krankenversicherung online
    my web site: Private Zusatzversicherung

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your next write ups thank you once again.


    Here is my web blog ... private krankenversicherung abschließen

    ReplyDelete
  17. I believe this is one of the such a lot vital info for me.
    And i am satisfied reading your article. However want to remark on
    few basic issues, The site style is ideal, the articles is really excellent :
    D. Good job, cheers

    Stop by my web blog :: handtaschen outlet online
    My web site > designermode online

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey there! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I came
    to check it out. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm bookmarking
    and will be tweeting this to my followers! Fantastic
    blog and wonderful design and style.

    My web blog - billige krankenversicherung für selbständige

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm gone to convey my little brother, that he should also pay a quick visit this blog on regular basis to get updated from hottest gossip.

    Also visit my web site :: phoenix seo expert

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, this post is nice, my younger sister is analyzing such things,
    so I am going to convey her.

    Feel free to surf to my web page krankenkasse beitragsbemessungsgrenze
    my webpage - was ist private krankenversicherung

    ReplyDelete
  21. Asking questions are really nice thing if you are not understanding something fully, however this post offers nice
    understanding even.

    Feel free to visit my website: sofortkredit trotz negativer schufa
    my webpage - Utente:LisetteX3 - Acerenza wiki

    ReplyDelete
  22. I leave a response when I especially enjoy a article on a website or
    I have something to add to the conversation. Usually it's triggered by the passion displayed in the post I read. And on this post "Valentine Granola Bars". I was actually moved enough to drop a thought :-P I do have 2 questions for you if it's okay.

    Is it only me or do some of the comments come across like
    left by brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting at additional online sites, I
    would like to follow you. Would you make a list every one of your social pages like your
    Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

    Take a look at my weblog ... Creative Entrepreneur Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hola! I've been reading your web site for a long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Porter Tx! Just wanted to say keep up the good work!

    Also visit my web site ... raspberry ketone

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am truly pleassant to read everthing at alone place.


    My webpage private krankenversicherung ab wann

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm gone to convey my little brother, that he should also pay a visit this website on regular basis to get updated from newest news update.

    Visit my webpage; vitamin shoppe coupons

    ReplyDelete
  26. My relatіvеs аll the timе sау thаt
    I am wаsting mу timе here at nеt, but Ι know
    Ι am gettіng know-hoω daily by rеаding ѕuch good
    аrticlеs or reviewѕ.

    Have a loοκ at my wеb ѕіte - Vistaprint Coupon

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This paragraph posted at this site is really pleasant.
    ageless male - ageless male supplement facts
    - ageless male

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a functional blog…wow !!!!

    Review my blog ... voraussetzungen private krankenversicherung

    ReplyDelete